Residential Fire Sprinklers
Residential Fire Sprinklers serve multiple purposes in the protection of single-family structures within the Evergreen Fire Protection District (EFPD):
- A properly designed and installed NFPA 13D/IRC P2904 residential fire sprinkler system is designed to protect key areas within a residence while providing time for the occupants to safely escape a fire. In most cases if the fire is not fully extinguished it will be contained to the room or area of origin and kept in check until the arrival of fire fighters who will then be able to fully extinguish the fire;
- Automatic fire sprinklers reduce the ability of a fire within a structure to extend into the wildland interface;
- Limited water flow helps to reduce environmental impact from run-off.
- As of October 4, 2023, EFPD has rescinded the 20-minute water-flow requirement for residential sprinkler systems. Water supply for residential fire sprinkler systems shall meet the requirements as prescribed in the current edition of NFPA 13D/IRC P2904.
When an application is made for a building permit the County, in which the building is to be constructed, will often require documentation from the appropriate fire district that confirms that emergency service will be provided. At EFR we provide a Will Serve On-Off Site letter that confirms the property in question is within the EFPD, the closest fire station, distance to a water source, acceptance or objection to access (based upon a review of a grading plan), and any requirement for fire protection systems.
- Evergreen Fire/Rescue applies the following criteria in determining the need for protection systems within the district:
All residential structures are required to be protected by NFPA 13D/IRC P2904 automatic fire sprinklers in compliance with International Wildland Urban Interface Code as adopted by EFPD and application of Jefferson County IBC/IRC Appendix Z.
Fire Sprinkler requirements for Evergreen Fire Protection District:
- Compliant with NFPA 13D/IRC P2904;
- Garages with dwelling units or sleeping areas above must provide protection of the garage space
- Notification of activation via external horn/strobe or, when available, integration into a monitored fire alarm system.