The Future of Station One
Why are plans being made to replace Fire Station One?
Part Two – EMS in Evergreen
The Evergreen Ambulance Service began in 1952 following an emergency call that required over an hour for an ambulance to arrive from Denver. Leading citizens of Evergreen raised funds for the purchase of a station wagon, converted for patient transports, in order to save crucial time during health emergencies. Some volunteer firefighters took basic emergency medical training in order to participate in this new service to Evergreen residents. Through the efforts of local supporters, with Linda Kirkpatrick spearheading fundraising efforts, the Station 4 EMS property was obtained and the current building was constructed in 1984. In 1986 the Ambulance Service merged with the Evergreen Fire Protection District as an enterprise fund that would be self-supporting. By 2008-2009 EMS had been absorbed as a division of EFR. The mill levy increase approved by voters in 2016, along with providing the means to replace Station 1, the revenue has allowed EFR to fully fund medical services and start the Evergreen Community Assistance Resources and Education Services (ECARES) program.
The first ambulance
Evergreen’s population has doubled from what it was in the 1980s. A larger population and aging of Baby Boomers has increased call volume substantially. In 2020, just under 60% of the 2,379 total calls were for medical services. At present, the District has 5 ambulances, 12 full-time paramedics, 11 part-time paramedics, 3 nationally certified Community Paramedics, and a Division Chief. There are four paramedics on shift 24/7 with two located at Station 2 and Station 4.
A current ambulance and the ECARES vehicle